An official website of the United States government

January 26, 2022

Reports of Birth – Provided in Yaoundé

A child born in Cameroon to a U.S. citizen parent may be entitled to U.S. citizenship. The parent or legal guardian should file the “Application for Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America” (Form DS-2029) as soon as possible with the Consular Section. Applications for first-time passports are usually completed at the same time.

Report of Birth Checklist

To apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) the child and parents must schedule an appointment and appear in person to the Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy in Yaounde during American Citizens Services hours with the following materials:

  • Original Cameroonian birth certificate.
  • Original Completed Consular Report of Birth Abroad application (DS-2029) (PDF 52 KB) The U.S. citizen parent must complete and either sign before the U.S. Consular Officer or notarize it if not present in the country.
  • Both parents must appear at the U.S. Embassy. The only exception is if one parent is resident in another country.  In that case, notarized original Statement of Consent form (DS-3053) (PDF 28 KB) completed with copy of parent’s notarized photo ID with signature (passport or driver’s license etc.)
  • The child must be present.
  • Evidence of relationship between the two parents, i.e., marriage certificate, photos, etc.  If parents are not married, documentation such as email correspondence and photos, for example, may be required.
  • Original or certified true copy of the original photo identification of each parent such as national I.D. card, passport, driver’s license, or Certificate of Naturalization.
  • Proof of U.S. citizenship of parent such as U.S. passport, Certificate of Naturalization, etc.
  • Additional supporting documents may be required to establish physical presence in the U.S. such as current and past passports (or scanned color photocopies of all passport pages, notarized), military enlistment records, school transcripts, criminal records, tax returns, car registration, telephone and utility bills, etc.
  • CRBA fee of $100 USD or FCFA equivalent. (This does not include the passport fee.)

Forms related to the passport application are available at http://travel.state.gov/passport/forms/forms_847.html at https://cm.usembassy.gov/ or in the Consular Section at the Embassy.

For services requiring a fee, payment may be made in US dollars or the equivalent in FCFA.  We only accept U.S. currency printed within the last 10 years.

American Citizen Services Hours:

Please send us your enquiries by email at: yaoundeacs@state.gov.  Passport services, Consular Reports of Birth Abroad or notarial services are available by appointment. Go to this website https://evisaforms.state.gov/acs/default.asp?postcode=YDE&appcode=1 to schedule an appointment. Please arrive 15 minutes before your scheduled time. For more information, visit the U.S. Embassy website at https://cm.usembassy.gov/.

Social Security Number Application:

It is possible to complete an application for a Social Security Number for a minor child if a CRBA and/or first-time passport application is/are being submitted for the child at the same time. Required for this process are the following:

  • Social Security Application SS-5-FS (PDF 164 KB) completed by the U.S. citizen parent
  • Documentation of the child’s birth, such as the original or certified copy of the birth certificate and/or CRBA
  • Documentation of the child’s U.S. citizenship, such as a copy of the identity page of the child’s passport and/or CRBA
  • Evidence of the U.S. citizen parent’s identity, such as the passport, Certificate of Naturalization, driver’s license, U.S. military identification, etc.
  • If the child is over 12 years of age, the child must be interviewed, and additional documentation will be required to prove why the child has not yet applied for/received a Social Security Number. The must complete and sign a “Questionnaire for first time applicants aged 12 and older (U.S. and foreign born)”, available at the embassy.

Last update: 01/25/2022