Event: The Embassy informs U.S. citizens of the potential for demonstrations and unrest related to a reported ban on motorcycle taxis in certain areas within Yaounde. There is currently a heightened law enforcement presence at roundabouts and other intersections throughout the city.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid large gatherings and demonstrations, as even peaceful demonstrations may quickly turn violent.
- Monitor local news stations.
- Remain aware of your surroundings and keep a low profile.
- Always carry proof of your legal presence in Cameroon, such as a U.S. passport with visa, or a residency card. Since Cameroon does not recognize dualcitizenship, U.S. citizens of Cameroonian descent should never attempt to use a Cameroonian passport or identification card.
- U.S Embassy Yaounde, Cameroon
+237 2 2220-1500 ext. 4341/4023
+237 2 2220-1500 ext. 4531 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Cameroon Country Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.