Security Alert – Possible Demonstration in Douala on August 14 – U. S. Embassy Yaounde (August 13, 2020)
Event: The Embassy informs U.S. citizens that a political demonstration may occur in Douala on August 14. Since permission for this demonstration has been denied, there may be an increased law enforcement presence and possible violence if the demonstration occurs.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid large gatherings and demonstrations, as even peaceful demonstrations may quickly turn violent.
- Monitor local news stations.
- Remain aware of your surroundings and keep a low profile.
- Always carry proof of your legal presence in Cameroon, such as a U.S. passport with visa or a residency card. Since Cameroon does not recognize dual citizenship, U.S. citizens of Cameroonian descent should never attempt to use a Cameroonian passport or identification card.
- U.S Embassy Yaounde, Cameroon
Avenue Rosa Parks
(in the Mbankolo Quartier, adjacent to the Mount Febe Golf Club)
P.O. Box 817
+237 2 2220-1500 ext. 4341/4023
+237 2 2220-1500 ext. 4531 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Cameroon Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.