U. S. Embassy Yaoundé (September 17, 2020)
Location: Population centers throughout Cameroon
Event: The Embassy informs U.S. citizens that several political parties have called for demonstrations around the country on Tuesday, September 22. The Cameroonian government has not granted permission for these demonstrations. There will likely be increased law enforcement presence and the potential for conflict between security forces and demonstrators.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid large gatherings and demonstrations, as even peaceful demonstrations may quickly turn violent.
- Monitor local news stations.
- Remain aware of your surroundings and keep a low profile.
- Always carry proof of your legal presence in Cameroon, such as a U.S. passport with visa or a residency card. Since Cameroon does not recognize dual citizenship, U.S. citizens of Cameroonian descent should never attempt to use a Cameroonian passport or identification card.
- U.S. Embassy
Avenue Rosa Parks
(in the Mbankolo Quartier, adjacent to the Mont Febe Golf Club)
P.O. Box 817
+237 2 2220-1500 ext. 4341/4023
+237 2 2220-1500 ext. 4531 (after hours)
- State Department – Bureau of Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Cameroon Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.