Location: Rondpoint Bastos, Yaounde
Event: There has been an increase in violent robberies after dark. Criminals have operated in groups of three or more and use the crowds of people exercising as cover to target their victims. Purse-snatchers have also targeted pedestrians in the area.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid walking through Rondpoint Bastos at night, especially alone.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Do not physically resist any robbery attempt.
- Do not display signs of wealth, such as wearing expensive jewelry or watches.
- Always carry proof of your legal presence in Cameroon, such as a U.S. passport with visa, or a residency card. Since Cameroon does not recognize dual citizenship, U.S. citizens of Cameroonian descent should never attempt to use a Cameroonian passport or identification card.
- U.S. Embassy Yaounde, Cameroon
+237 2 2220-1500 ext. 4341/4023
+237 2 2220-1500 ext. 4531 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Cameroon Country Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.