Location: Yaounde, Cameroon
Event: Yaounde will host the African Nations Championship (CHAN) football finals match on Sunday, February 7, at 8:00 pm. The match will be played at Ahmadou Ahidjo Stadium, located across from the ORCA Department Store, east of the Bastos neighborhood.
This match is expected to draw large crowds inside and outside of the stadium. Sporting matches and large crowds traditionally represent prime targets for terrorist and criminal organizations. There is a real potential for violent clashes among rival fan bases.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the area around Ahmadou Ahidjo Stadium before, during, and after Sunday’s match.
- Be aware of and avoid neighborhood watch parties that commonly draw crowds around television sets at street side bars, restaurants, and markets.
- Carry proper identification, including a U.S. passport with a current Cameroon visa.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Keep a low profile.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Cooperate with local authorities.
- U.S Embassy Yaounde, Cameroon
- +237 2 2220-1500 ext. 4341/4023
- +237 2 2220-1500 ext. 4531 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
- 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Cameroon Country Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.