Location: Cameroon (nationwide)
Event: Cameroon will hold regional elections on Sunday, December 6, 2020. While the embassy is not aware of any planned demonstrations, there is potential for peaceful gatherings to turn confrontational. Host country security and law enforcement will likely have an increased presence during the elections. Additionally, various armed actors, to include criminals, terrorists, and armed militants, may seek to exploit periods of heightened uncertainty to increase their activities.
Out of an abundance of caution, Embassy Yaoundé has postponed a community event scheduled at the embassy for the upcoming weekend and advised employees to be vigilant in public places.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid any areas near demonstrations and crowds (public and large gathering areas tend to be areas targeted for IED attacks).
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Remain aware of your surroundings and keep a low profile.
- Review your personal security plans, be vigilant, and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security.
- U.S. Embassy Yaoundé, Cameroon
+237 2 2220-1500 ext. 4341/4023
+237 2 2220-1500 ext. 4531 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
- 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Cameroon Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter