Location: North and Far North Regions
Event: U.S. citizens in the North and Far North Regions of Cameroon should take all necessary precaution to prevent attacks, kidnappings, or other associated actions by terrorist groups seeking to retaliate for the death of ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi. The Embassy reminds U.S. citizens that our April 9, 2019, Travel Advisory for Cameroon advises no travel to these regions due to the threat of crime, kidnapping, and terrorism.
Actions to Take:
- Review your personal security plans.
- Stay alert in public places, including schools, hospitals, government facilities, places of worship, tourist locations, and transportation hubs.
- Review travel routes and times to reduce time and place predictability.
- Remain aware of your surroundings and keep a low profile.
- Always carry proof of your legal presence in Cameroon, such as a U.S. passport with visa, or a residency card. Since Cameroon does not recognize dual citizenship, U.S. citizens of Cameroonian descent should never attempt touse a Cameroonian passport or identification card.
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates