Security Alert – U. S. Embassy Yaounde Cameroon (June 24, 2020)
Event: During the evening of June 20, two Improvised Explosive Devices were detonated in the Melen and Emana neighborhoods of Yaoundé. There is increased vigilance by authorities in these neighborhoods and surrounding areas. Reports indicate that both incidents produced only light injuries and were not directed at U.S. citizens or other foreigners.
Actions to Take:
- Review your personal security plans.
- Stay alert in public places, including schools, hospitals, government facilities, places of worship, tourist locations, and transportation hubs.
- Avoid crowded locations and monitor local media for updates.
- If you notice any suspicious or unattended package or bag, immediately leave the area, encourage others to do so, and locate the nearest authority to report the item. Do NOT use your cellphone while near any suspicious item.
- Remain aware of your surroundings and keep a low profile.
- Always carry proof of your legal presence in Cameroon, such as a U.S. passport with a valid Cameroonian visa, or a Cameroonian residency card. Since Cameroon does not recognize dual citizenship, U.S. citizens of Cameroonian descent should never attempt to use a Cameroonian passport or identification card.
- S. Embassy Yaoundé, Cameroon
Avenue Rosa Parks
(in the Mbankolo Quartier, adjacent to the Mont Fébé Golf Club)
P.O. Box 817
+237 2 2220-1500 ext. 4341/4023
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Cameroon Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security updates;
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.