Event: Cameroon will hold municipal and legislative elections on Sunday, February 9, 2020. The Embassy is not aware of any planned demonstrations, but it is possible that large crowds could gather at polling places and other public venues. Host country security and law enforcement will likely have an increased presence during the elections and roadblocks could be encountered.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid large gatherings and demonstrations, as even peaceful demonstrations may quickly turn violent.
- Monitor local news stations.
- Remain aware of your surroundings and keep a low profile.
- Always carry proof of your legal presence in Cameroon, such as a U.S. passport with visa, or a residency card. Since Cameroon does not recognize dual citizenship, U.S. citizens of Cameroonian descent should never attempt to use a Cameroonian passport or identification card.
- U.S Embassy Yaounde, Cameroon
+237 2 2220-1500 ext. 4341/4023
+237 2 2220-1500 ext. 4531 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Cameroon Country Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.