Location: Far North Region
Event: U.S. Embassy Yaounde reminds U.S. citizens of persistent security threats in the Far North Region, to include kidnap attempts against foreigners.
Actions to Take:
- In accordance with the State Department Cameroon Travel Advisory, travel to the Far North Region is strongly discouraged.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Stay alert in public places, including schools, hospitals, government facilities, places of worship, tourist locations, and transportation hubs.
- Vary your times and routes; change up patterns that have become predictable or routine.
- Remain aware of your surroundings and keep a low profile.
- Always carry proof of your legal presence in Cameroon, such as a U.S. passport with a valid visa, or a residency card. Since Cameroon does not recognize dual citizenship, U.S. citizens of Cameroonian descent should never attempt to use a Cameroonian passport or identification card.
- S. Embassy Yaoundé, Cameroon
+237 2 2220-1500 ext. 4341/4023
+237 2 2220-1500 ext. 4531 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444