Location: Bastos, Yaounde
Event: Due to a recent increase in criminal incidents involving westerners in Yaoundé, the U.S. Embassy takes this opportunity to again remind U.S. citizens to continue to take adequate personal precautions, particularly in the Bastos circle area.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid walking alone on the streets. Walk in groups or travel by car whenever possible.
- Avoid traveling in isolated areas and park only in well-lit areas at night.
- Avoid leaving valuable items, such as backpacks, laptops, mobile phones, etc., in plain sight inside your vehicle.
- Have a cell phone with you.
- Remain alert and be aware of your surroundings. Avoid wearing earbuds or headphones while walking.
- Lock your vehicle doors immediately upon entering.
- Remain aware of your surroundings, including local events.
- Avoid large gatherings and demonstrations; monitor local news stations; and follow the instructions of local authorities.
- Remember that the security environment in Cameroon is fluid and can deteriorate without warning.
- U.S Embassy Yaounde, Cameroon
+237 2 2220-1500 ext. 4341/4023
+237 2 2220-1500 ext. 4531 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Cameroon Country Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.