Location: Douala, Cameroon
Event: Armed Criminal Groups
A series of dangerous robberies occurred over the weekend starting on March 11, 2023, along the N3 highway between Douala and Yaoundé that resulted in numerous victims and damaged vehicles. The robbers targeted passenger vehicles and buses in various locations west of Pouma and east of the toll collection area just outside of Edea. The criminals hid in bushes alongside the roadway, threw large stones at the windshields of passing vehicles, and then robbed the occupants as they stopped to inspect the damage. The robberies occurred after dark.
The United States Embassy urges American Citizens to exercise caution along this route and avoid stopping unless at official Police/Gendarmes/toll checkpoints. Please review more information on our Country Information page regarding safety and security best practices.
- U.S. Embassy Yaounde/Phone Number: +237-222-514-000/Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- State Department – Consular Affairs/Phone Numbers: 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Cameroon Country Specific Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter