Security Alert – U. S. Embassy Yaounde Cameroon (May 19, 2020)
Event: U.S. Embassy Yaounde reminds U.S. citizens that terrorist groups have previously increased the number of attacks towards the end of the Ramadan period. Possible targets include government facilities, places frequented by foreigners, and other locations such as places of worship, schools, or healthcare facilities which attract large numbers of people.
Actions to Take:
- Review your personal security plans.
- Stay alert in public places, including schools, hospitals, government facilities, places of worship, tourist locations, and transportation hubs.
- Avoid crowded locations and monitor local media for updates.
- Remain aware of your surroundings and keep a low profile.
- Always carry proof of your legal presence in Cameroon, such as a U.S. passport with a valid Cameroonian visa, or a residency card. Since Cameroon does not recognize dual citizenship, U.S. citizens of Cameroonian descent should never attempt to use a Cameroonian passport or identification card.
U.S. Embassy Yaoundé, Cameroon
+237 2 2220-1500 ext. 4341/4023
+237 2 2220-1500 ext. 4531 (after hours)
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates