Location: North and Far North Regions
Event: U.S. citizens in the North and Far North Regions of Cameroon should take all necessary precautions to prevent kidnappings, armed attacks, or similar actions by terrorist and criminal groups.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid travel to the North or Far North Regions.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Stay alert in public places, including schools, hospitals, government facilities, places of worship, tourist locations, and transportation hubs.
- Vary your times and routes; change up patterns that have become predictable or routine.
- Remain aware of your surroundings and keep a low profile.
- Always carry proof of your legal presence in Cameroon, such as a U.S. passport with visa, or a residency card. Since Cameroon does not recognize dual citizenship, U.S. citizens of Cameroonian descent should never attempt to use a Cameroonian passport or identification card.
- U.S. Embassy Yaoundé, Cameroon
+237 2 2220-1500 ext. 4341/4023
+237 2 2220-1500 ext. 4531 (after hours)