January 07, 2022
Location: Population Centers Hosting Africa Cup of Nations games Yaoundé, Douala, Garoua, Bafoussam, Limbe
Event: Cameroon will host the Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) tournament from January 9 to February 6 at stadiums in Yaoundé, Douala, Garoua, Bafoussam, and Limbe. The games are expected to draw large crowds inside and outside the stadium. Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, access to the tournament venues requires proof of vaccination and a negative COVID-19 test within 48 hours or rapid antigen test within 24 hours. The government of Cameroon requires a negative PCR test 48 hours prior to arrival to Cameroon for all visitors and a rapid antigen test upon arrival at the airport.
Sporting matches and large crowds traditionally represent prime targets for criminal activity. Separatist armed groups have announced publicly their intentions to disrupt the AFCON tournament. The government of Cameroon has significantly increased its security presence in the cities hosting the matches. The U.S. Embassy has recommended that USG personnel not attend the tournament and avoid the area around the stadiums due to security and health concerns.
Actions to Take:
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Exercise caution at or in the vicinity of tournament venues and other public gathering areas such as bars, markets, and neighborhood viewing parties
- Wear a mask when around others and practice social distancing and good hygiene measures.
- Carry proper identification, including a U.S. passport with a current Cameroon visa.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
- Review your personal security plans
- U.S. Embassy Yaounde/Phone Number: +237-222-514-000/Email Address: email@example.com
- State Department – Consular Affairs/Phone Numbers: 888-407-4747 or 202-501-444
- Cameroon Country Specific Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter