The U.S. Embassy in Yaounde, Cameroon alerts U.S. citizens to a recent increase of robberies targeting westerners in Yaounde. In the last few weeks, there have been at least three incidents where pedestrians have been robbed in the Bastos area. The most recent incident involved a western diplomat near the Bastos traffic circle. The victim was approached by four individuals with machetes and pushed to the ground. The individuals took the victim’s cell phone and wallet. The victim was not harmed.
To reduce your risk:
- Avoid walking alone on the streets. Walk in groups or travel by car whenever possible.
- Avoid traveling in isolated areas and park only in well-lit areas at night.
- Keep emergency equipment in your vehicle and make sure you have a cell phone and radio with you.
- Remain alert and be aware of your surroundings. Do not wear earbuds or headphones while walking.
- Lock your vehicle doors immediately upon entering.
- Avoid leaving valuable items such as bags, backpacks, laptops, and mobile phones inside your vehicle in plain sight.
- Avoid crowded places and demonstrations.
- Be especially cautious when entering or leaving restaurants, bars, and clubs at night.
If you are the victim of a robbery:
- Be compliant. Do not fight back.
- If possible, seek shelter in a public establishment until police arrive.
- Seek assistance from police/gendarmes if they are nearby.
- Report crimes to the local police and contact the U.S. Embassy at +(237) 22220-1500 ext. 4341/4023 or ext. 4531 after business hours. Remember that local authorities are responsible for investigating and prosecuting the crime.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for Cameroon.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Yaounde, Avenue Rosa Parks in the Mbankolo Quartier, adjacent to the Mount Febe Golf Club, by telephone at +(237) 22220-1500 ext. 4341/4023, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +(237) 22220-1500 ext. 4531. U.S. citizens may email the Embassy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.
- See traveling safely abroad for useful travel tips.