Internal Revenue Service (U.S. Taxes)

Federal Tax Information for U.S. Taxpayers Living Abroad

All U.S. citizens or resident aliens must report and pay tax on their worldwide income, even if they live abroad.

Important Information on the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA) for all U.S. Citizens Living Abroad:

Social Security Number – You must list the Social Security Number (SSN) of any person for whom you claim an exemption on your individual income tax return. If your dependent or spouse is not eligible to have an SSN, you must list an Individual Taxpayer Identification number (ITIN) instead. You can apply for an SSN for a dependent at a Social Security office or a U.S. consulate. To apply, you must provide original or certified copies of documents to verify the dependent’s age, identity, and citizenship.

Individual Taxpayer Identification Number – To apply for an ITIN, file Form W-7 and supporting documentation with the IRS.

Exchange Rates – You must report all income in U.S. Dollar equivalents. Exchange rates can be found on the “Foreign Currency and Currency Exchange Rates” page at; keyword search term “exchange rates”.

International Taxpayer Service Call Center Contact My Local Office Internationally | Internal Revenue Service ( has online information on many topics concerning your income tax return:

The Embassy does not have the authority or the expertise to give advice on either the Cameroon or United States tax systems. You may wish to consult a tax professional and the Internal Revenue Service.  Questions concerning individual federal income taxes may be addressed to:

IRS International Customer Service Site

Tel.: 1-215-516-2000 (6:00 am-11:00 am (EST) Mon-Fri)
Fax: 1-215-516-2555
(Topics’ Directory: 123) – (not toll free outside the U.S.)
Inquiries may be mailed to:
Internal Revenue Service
P.O. Box 929, Bensalem, PA 19020 (USA)
RS forms & publications are available at:

DISCLAIMER: For those desiring a tax consulting firm you may choose to use the one listed here or any other that you desire.  The U.S. Embassy Yaounde, Cameroon assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the following firms. Inclusion on this list is in no way an endorsement by the Department of State or the U.S. Embassy.