Fiancé(e) Visa

The Fiancé(e) K-1 nonimmigrant visa is for the foreign-citizen fiancé(e) of a U.S. citizen. The K-1 visa permits the foreign-citizen fiancé(e) to travel to the United States and marry his or her U.S. citizen sponsor within 90 days of arrival. You can learn more about fiancé(e) visas on

  • The couple must have met in person within the past two years.
  • The U.S. citizen fiancé must file an I-129F Petition with the USCIS in the U.S.
  • If the I-129F is approved and the visa issued, they must marry within 90 days of the alien’s admission to the United States.

Following the marriage, the alien spouse must apply to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) to establish a record of entry for conditional permanent residence status. After two years, the alien must apply to the USCIS for removal of the conditional status.

Applicants who have a communicable disease; have a dangerous physical or mental disorder; are drug addicts; have committed serious criminal acts, including crimes involving moral turpitude, drug trafficking, and prostitution; are likely to become a public charge; have used fraud or other illegal means to enter the United States; or are ineligible for citizenship, must be refused a visa.

The two-year foreign residence requirement for former exchange visitors is also applicable. If found eligible, a visa will be issued, valid for one entry during a period of six months.

Important Notice

The Consular Section is not open for walk-in visa inquiries for the public. For visa-related questions, please contact