Returning Resident Visa

A permanent resident (called lawful permanent resident or LPR) or conditional resident (CR) who has remained outside the United States for longer than one year, or beyond the validity period of a Re-entry Permit, will require a new immigrant visa to enter the United States and resume permanent residence.

Returning Residents or immigrants who lived in the United States previously as lawful permanent residents and are returning to live in the United States after a temporary visit of more than one year abroad, for reasons beyond their control, must file a DS-117 form (there is a non-refundable fee as per the visa fees page) with U.S. Embassy in Yaounde. Please find the requirements and hours of operation here:

If the application is approved, the applicant must obtain certain documents, have a medical examination by a consular panel physician, and undergo an immigrant visa interview. The returning resident visa Category SB1, is valid for six months for re-entry to the United States.

You must compile the following documents for your SB-1 visa interview.  Please send an email or in order to schedule your interview appointment.


Forms DS-260:  Please print out the confirmation page and bring it with you on the day of your interview Instructions on completing the DS-260 are available at Please note that on the DS-260 login page, you must enter your date of birth using the following format: YYYMMDD (year/month/day) in order to sign in and access the application form.


Obtain the following documents on this checklist that pertain to you.

  1. Passport(s): Each applicant must have a valid passport to travel to the United States. The passport must have at least six months validity beyond the issuance date of the visa. Obtain a photocopy of the biodata page of the passport.
  2. Photographs: Obtain two color passport-size photographs (50 x 50mm) for each applicant. The photographs must show each applicant’s full face without a head covering, against a white background, and you may not wear eyeglasses.
  3. Birth Certificates: Bring the original birth certificate and two photocopies for yourself
  4. Marriage Certificate: Bring the original and two photocopies of your marriage certificate if applicable. If you were married previously, provide two photocopies and the original of the divorce decree or death certificate to prove the dissolution of each of such prior marriages.
  5. Certificate of Non Conviction: Each visa applicant aged 16 years or over is required to submit a certificate of non-conviction. Police certificates are also required from all other countries where the applicant has resided for at least one year. The police certificate is valid for one year and must be valid at all time during the visa process. Note that for residents of Cameroon, the police certificate is the certificate of non-conviction, which is issued by the judiciary authorities (the court) of the Republic of Cameroon and not by the police.
  6. Medical examination. Contact the panel physician and undergo the medical examination. Note that the medical report is valid for only six months. It is advisable to undergo the medical examination about a week or two before your interview date.
  7. Evidence of Support: Be prepared to present evidence showing that you are not likely to become a public charge while in the United States.
  8. Translations: All documents not in English, or in the official language of the country in which application for a visa is being made, must be accompanied by certified English translations. Translations must be certified by a competent translator and sworn to before a Notary Public.


You must contact this office in order to schedule your interview appointment by sending an email to or You will need to provide your case number (please include this in the subject line of your email). You should bring all of the above documents that apply to your case to the interview on the appointment date. Please notify this office if you cannot keep the appointment.

Application Fees

The application fee for SB1s is $205 or the equivalent in FCFA. The applicant must be prepared to pay this fee on the interview date. You may email or call the Embassy to confirm the equivalent rate.

You can learn more about Returning Resident Visas on

Important Notice

The Consular Section is not open for walk-in visa inquiries for the public. For visa-related questions, please contact