Security Alert – Reports of Anti-Foreigner Sentiment. U. S. Embassy Yaounde, Cameroon (March 19, 2020)
Event: The Embassy has received reports regarding a rise of anti-foreigner sentiment revolving around the announcement of the spread of COVID-19. Incidents of harassment and assault directly related to COVID-19 have been reported by U.S. citizens and other foreigners in both Yaounde and Douala. Reports include verbal and online harassment, stone throwing, and banging on vehicles occupied by expatriates.
For Emergency American Citizen Services, please contact us at YaoundeACS@state.gov.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid walking/hiking/biking alone.
- Do not engage or otherwise escalate any encounter. Do your best to leave the situation/area immediately.
- Maintain situational awareness. Avoid wearing headphones or using handheld electronic devices in public area.
- If you are in a vehicle, lock your doors and keep your window rolled up.
- U.S Embassy Yaounde, Cameroon
Avenue Rosa Parks
(in the Mbankolo Quartier, adjacent to the Mount Febe Golf Club)
P.O. Box 817
+237 2 2220-1500 ext. 4341/4023
+237 2 2220-1500 ext. 4531 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Cameroon Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.