Security Alert – Recommended Security Practices for U.S. Citizens from U. S. Embassy Yaounde, Cameroon (April 16, 2020)
Event: The Embassy reminds U.S. citizens of the need for heightened awareness and caution during this time of increased personal safety and security concerns. Always be vigilant, including in places of commerce frequented by foreigners. See below for a short list of recommended security practices and click here for more information on preparing for a potential crisis while being abroad.
For Emergency American Citizen Services, please contact us at YaoundeACS@state.gov.
Actions to Take:
- Exercise increased caution, including in places of commerce known to be frequented by expatriates.
- Be aware of your surroundings,keep a low profile, and avoid crowds.
- Review your personal security plan.
- Do not engage or otherwise escalate any encounter. Do your best to leave the situation/areaimmediately.
- If you notice something suspicious, move away to safety and alert a law enforcement officer.
- Maintain situational awareness. Avoid wearing headphones or using handheld electronic devices in public area.
- If you are in a vehicle, lock your doors,and keep your windows rolled up.
- U.S Embassy Yaounde, Cameroon
Avenue Rosa Parks
(in the Mbankolo Quartier, adjacent to the Mount Febe Golf Club)
P.O. Box 817
+237 2 2220-1500 ext. 4341/4023
+237 2 2220-1500 ext. 4531 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Cameroon Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Twitterand Facebook.